Anyway, not only are calzones manly, but they are also quite easy to purchase from your local pizza joint and devour in the span of probably 15 minutes. But by now you should have gathered that the whole point of my posting recipes is to deter you from ordering something, or picking something up. I want you to cook it yourself. Why? Because it tastes better, and it's better for you, and you'll feel better about yourself for accomplishing so much.
There. Rant over. Now on to the recipe.
By the way, I'm sorry there is no staggeringly beautiful picture to go with this one. Calzones might be manly, but they sure aren't photogenic.
Broccoli & Sausage Calzones
1 container of pre-made pizza dough
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 package of sweet (or hot, if that’s your thing) Italian sausages
1 medium-sized bunch of broccoli (or veggie of your liking)
1 small container of ricotta cheese
1/2 an onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
A few dashes of Italian seasoning, or equal parts garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper
A very small dash of nutmeg
Marinara sauce, for dipping
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees
- Saute onion and garlic in a pan w/a drizzle of EVOO until onions are translucent and garlic is golden brown
- Remove outer casing (blech) from sausage and add to pan, breaking up the meat into small pieces
- While sausage is cooking, steam broccoli, then chop into bite-sized pieces
- When sausage is done, remove from pan w/slotted spoon (to drain fat)
- Combine broccoli, sausage crumbles, 1/2 the container of ricotta, spices and mozzarella into a bowl, stirring well.
- Stretch pizza dough onto a non-stick pan. Divide evenly (I divided it into 2 big pieces, but I think next time I’d divide it into 4 smaller sections as I had leftover filling)
- Pile filling into the center of the dough and cover, making sure to seal the edges
- Cut 2 or 3 small openings in top of calzone to allow ventage
- brush tops with oil, Parmesan cheese, and a sprinkle of garlic powder
- Bake for approx. 20 minutes
- Heat marinara sauce in the microwave for dipping, and enjoy!