1,500th view

has served over 1,700 satisfied views since 2010!

Thursday, September 2, 2010

twilight

What's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word "twilight?" Obviously, the cult-turned-mainstream sensation that are the sub par vampire movies staring the boyishly handsome Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, and Taylor Lautner. The kind of book and movie success that has the likeness of the “Harry Potter” and “Rings” series, and as long as there are 9-13 year old girls in the world will unfortunately never die. The anomaly that people such as myself can only hope that movies like “Vampires Suck” will get people to finally realize the kind of trash they allow into the minds and souls of their loved ones. But what about the lowercase twilight?


When I think of twilight I think of two things: the time of day right before either the sun or moon comes up and the other sets, or that limbo state of mind one finds himself in right after waking up from a dream or perhaps coming out of some kind of drug induced state. The former example is one of the things that’s on everyone’s bucket list, the twilight that can cause even the most icy of hearts (not a vampire joke) to melt when witnessed. The time of day that strikes fear into every gambler and party animal burning the morning oil, and is that indistinguishable wake up call for the business man taking a long weekend in Vegas; yet I digress.


Unedited…

Two days ago I had a tonsillectomy. For those who don’t know, means I went under general anesthesia for roughly 30 minutes to have them removed, and will be recovering and in pain for the next week or so. Along with this comes 2-4 teaspoons of hydrocodone (aka liquid vicodin) which I take roughly every three hours for pain. What I have experienced since waking up from the hospital bed nearly 48 hours ago can best be described as a lucid dream, or twilight. Once taken, I have about ten minutes of consciousness before experiencing nearly four hours of absurdity. Since my first dose I have successfully: pissed off my ex (not hard to do right), had multiple conversations with friends in which I have no recollection, watched a half dozen movies in which I couldn’t spoil the ending for you even if I wanted, and played an unusually large amount of Words with Friends.


What does all this have to do with anything? “They” say we only use a very small percentage of our brains and since having experienced these twilight states of being I would have to agree. In fact as I sit here typing this blog out on my computer under the influence of various amounts of pain killers and antibiotics who is to say what the brain is not capable of creating? I have had conversations, played games, created independent thoughts, and strung together three different definitions of one word into a coherent blog. These twilight moments that we experience in our everyday life can sometimes lead to some of the most brilliant and mind bending ideas ever created. “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,” “The Persistence of Memory,” and “Requiem for a Dream” all embrace this same ideal and have brought happiness to millions of people from around the world. Who is to say that some of our most brilliant moments aren’t while one visits their very own twilight of the mind. So please keep a notebook by your bed, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment