1,500th view

has served over 1,700 satisfied views since 2010!

Friday, September 17, 2010

Soupy State of Mind


It's getting cooler here in New York City, which, after the summer we've had (hint: it was a trillion degrees), is quite possibly the best thing ever. I don't think I have ever appreciated autumn more than I do this year. It was that bad.
Aside from the hell of this summer, I am generally a cold person. You know the type. Usually of the female variety, shivering whenever the temperature dips below 77 degrees, hands and feet and maybe even the tip of the nose like ice. That's me. All the time.
So it should be no surprise that I am a big fan of soup. Like a really big fan. It makes me feel cozy and warm, two feelings that I don't experience as much as I would like.
I've been avoiding my dear friend soup for the last couple of months, but now as I feel that hint of wonderful crisp coolness in the air, my urge to whip up something soupy is renewed. Which brings me to Thai Noodle Soup.
The thing about soup is that it's really easy to open up a can and microwave the shit out of it and be done. But a lot can be said for home-made soup. They are nourishing and comforting in ways that canned soup just can't compete with. They are so, so worth the extra effort. Trust me.
Because this is a clear-broth based soup (for the most part), it's pretty easy to make. There is no mashing or roasting or sauteeing or anything like that. There is putting a few things in a pot and simmering them for as long as you can be patient. That's it. You can use whatever veggies you have on hand, just make sure you add them at the end of the simmering so they don't get mushy (mushy veggies are a personal pet peeve). You will be a homemade soup covert, I promise.


Thai-Esque Noodle Soup

You'll Need:

1 package japanese style noodles (or any kind of long thin noodles...you could probably even use Spaghetti)

1 large clove of garlic, minced

1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced

Sesame oil for drizzling

4 cups chicken stock

1 can coconut milk

3 tablespoons Siracha hot sauce (or more or less, depending on your heat tolerance)

3 tablespoons Soy sauce

1 tablespoon Mirin (sweetened rice wine)

1 pinch cinnamon

1 pinch curry powder

1/2 grated carrot

1/2 cup shelled edamame

1 teaspoon of lime juice


To Do:

  1. Boil noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside.
  2. In the same pot, coat bottom of pot with a drizzle of sesame oil and add minced garlic and ginger. Saute until golden-brown
  3. Add chicken stock, coconut milk, Siracha; bring to a boil
  4. Add soy sauce, rice wine, cinnamon, curry powder, reduce heat a bit so soup is simeering.
  5. Let simmer for 15-30 mins, covered. Add noodles back to pot with 5 mins to spare.
  6. Remove broth from heat, add carrots & edamame, lime juice
  7. Ladle into a bowl and commence coziness.

1 comment: