1,500th view

has served over 1,700 satisfied views since 2010!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Zucchini Pancakes


Suzie Homemaker confession time: when boyfriend is gone, everything goes to hell.
Take last night for example. Boyfriend is in glamorous St. Louis this week so I was left to my own defenses. Generally on nights I'm alone (which is more often than I'd like) I will eat popcorn for dinner. Sometimes with a side of chocolate bar. Don't judge.
Last night, however, I had a crisper drawer of veggies staring me in the face. Guilt tripping me with their slow decline into rottenness. So I decided to forgo my usual nutritious dinner and make something with a bit more substance. Zucchini Pancakes.

Okay. It's not a 4-course gourmet meal. But the thing is, when Boyfriend is gone, I generally give up the whole idea of "making dinner" with plates and napkins and side dishes. Instead, I have dinner standing in the kitchen dropping crumbs into the sink, constantly opening and closing the fridge as I swig milk direct from the container. It's one of the few bright spots of being left alone in our apartment. I can eat standing around, with my fingers, chugging milk, and no one gives a shit. I hope this doesn't ruin my Domestic Goddess reputation (if I even had one?). At least I didn't order out.
Zucchini pancakes are perfect eat-in-the-kitchen food. They are also insanely easy to make. The great thing about veggie-pancakes is that you can really put whatever you want in there. You just need to make sure 1. the veggies are shredded well (thank you, 20 yr old food processor) and 2. the mixture isn't too thick with flour and egg. The star here is the veg. Consider this recipe a template for whatever vegetable combination you can dream up. I just used what I had. You know, the staring vegetables.

You'll Need

  • 1 ear of corn
  • 1 medium zucchini
  • 1 small handful of basil, roughly chopped
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • 1/3 cup of Feta Cheese
  • 1/3 cup of Flour (or more if mixture seems too wet after combining all ingredients)
  • 1 tablespoon of Baking Powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 pinch of Dill
  • 1 pinch of Garlic Powder
  • Salt & Pepper

To Do:
  • Using a food processor or a box grater, shred the Zucchini. Toss in a bowl with a few shakes of salt, set aside for 5 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, cut the corn kernels from the ear and shred the jalapeno. Combine.
  • Drain the excess water from the shredded Zucc. Pick up handfuls, squeeze over sink (use your muscles!).
  • Add squeezed-out zucchini to the corn and jalapeno, along with the roughly chopped basil
  • Crack 1 egg and 1 egg yolk into this mixture, stir to combine
  • Add flour and baking powder, stir to combine. Mixture shouldn't be too batter-y. The flour/baking powder is just meant to hold the veggies together.
  • Add feta, Dill (or whatever spices you like), salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
  • Heat vegetable oil or olive oil in a saute pan.
  • Drop spoonfuls of zucc mixture into pan, 'smooshing' to thin it out and make a pancake-esque shape
  • Fry until golden brown. Drain on paper-towel lined plate. Top with Sour Cream before scarfing.


1 comment:

  1. We made these the other week and they were awesome! My suggestion: make the pancakes into fun shapes! Although my giraffe was ambitious and required two spatulas...

    ReplyDelete