1,500th view

has served over 1,700 satisfied views since 2010!

Friday, July 30, 2010

Grease is a Good Thing...Sometimes

So it's Friday (like you didn't notice! I'm sure you did). And on Fridays, I usually am in need of some grease in my life. Because as every good human knows, grease makes all those happy hour cocktails you drank on Thirsty Thursday settle in your tum. It's science. Maybe.
Being the resident feminine delicate dignified Suzie Homemaker around these parts (sorry Kristin, technology and gamer lingo does not a classy lady make), it is my job to give you some cooking (and grease) inspiration. So friends, here is your "I-want-to-impress-a-slightly-hungover-chick-with-my-cooking-prowess" recipe: Oven "Fried" Chicken. It's grease, but not too much grease. Perfect for girls who are health-conscious/afraid of getting fat. Such as myself.




You'll need:
  • Chicken parts of your choice (mmm, doesn’t THAT sound appetizing), or 1 whole cut-up chicken.
  • 1 pint buttermilk (depending on how much you’re cooking--you need to completely cover the chicken)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 cups breadcrumbs (I used Panko, because I'm fancy, and they're crunchier)
  • Equal dashes of Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Oregano (or, Mrs. Dash/whatever Poultry Seasoning you have on hand)
*Note: the measurements are approximate. It’s going to change depending on how much chicken you use, and I had to refill my bread crumb/flour mixture a couple of times to make sure I had enough to coat the chicken--just keep the ratio at 2 to 1. You can also add whatever spices you want, really. Cayenne pepper, anyone?



To Do:
  • The night before…wash & dry chicken, place in a Ziploc bag with enough buttermilk to cover, salt, and pepper. Shake bag to coat evenly. Store in fridge until you’re ready to cook.
  • When you’re ready to cook…pre-heat oven to 425
  • Combine flour, spices, breadcrumbs in a large bowl
  • Remove chicken from buttermilk, shaking off excess
  • Dredge chicken in flour/bread crumb mixture until fully coated…make sure you press the mixture into the chicken to make it stick.
  • Transfer chicken to a roasting pan
  • Brush/spray/drizzle vegetable oil onto tops of chicken
  • Bake for approx 45-55 minutes, or until juices run clear





I know what your thinking: I have to prepare for this the night before?! Well I guess you don't have to. You could always marinate the chicken for a few hours before you cook it. But doing it overnight really lets the Buttermilk sink in and makes the chicken tangy and juicy and pretty freaking amazing. Plus, dumping chicken and buttermilk in a Ziploc bag is pretty easy, even if you are drunk when your doing it.

This obviously isn't the same as FRIED friend chicken, which you could also do with this recipe, filling up a big pot with canola oil, heating it until it 'shimmers', and dropping those suckers in there until golden brown. It depends on just how much grease you're looking for. I myself like to wear bikinis, so I went the more 'healthy' route. To further make myself feel better I ate it with a salad and zucchini pancakes (recipe here). Because vegetables, unlike grease, are always good to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment